1257 ISG Optical Instrument Scientist
Informatie over organisatie
SRON's mission is to bring about breakthroughs in international space research. Therefore, the institute develops pioneering technology and advanced space instruments, and uses them to pursue fundamental astrophysical research, Earth science and exoplanetary research. As national expertise institute SRON gives counsel to the Dutch government and coordinates national contributions to international space missions. SRON stimulates the implementation of space science in our society.
The expertise group Instrument Science has a vacancy for an
Optical Instrument scientist (f/m)
Vac. nr. 1257
You will be part of the Instrument Science Group where optical experts contribute to space instruments ranging from Earth Observation and Exoplanet characterization in the visible and near infrared wavelength bands, to cryogenically cooled instruments for Astrophysics in the far infrared.
Within the climate and air quality program of SRON, you will work on the development of novel optical instrumentation for Earth Observation. Your responsibility will be in performance analysis of space spectrometers and polarimeters. Furthermore, you will develop test setups and perform the calibration on-ground and in-orbit of these optical instruments. You will work in a diverse team together with space industry and knowledge institute team members. SRON projects are carried out in Dutch national context in collaboration with international space industry and agencies.
The candidate will perform the following tasks:
- As part of a system engineering team, contribute as performance specialist to the development of advanced optical payloads;
- Act as calibration scientist in flight hardware projects; Emphasis on design, development and analysis of instrument calibration;
- Analyze optical performance test results; Present results in documents, scientific articles and presentations;
- Contribute to the development of new concepts for next generation optical payloads;
- Candidate shall show the potential and ambition to grow into the position of Lead Instrument Scientist/System Engineer, overseeing multiple disciplines and act as the technical responsible lead.
De medewerker die wij zoeken heeft:
The candidate shall have an excellent track record meeting most of the following requirements:
- Ph D. in a discipline related to instrumentation e.g. Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Astronomy;
- Hands-on experience with development of optical instrumentation or performing optical experiments;
- Hands-on experience with detector arrays in the visual and/or infrared wavelength ranges covering the complete signal chain;
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python and/or C++;
- Experience with analysis of the performance of an optical instrument or setup;
- Experience with System Engineering or proven ability to work systematically having an overview beyond the boundaries of your own discipline;
- Well-structured and goal oriented approach; training in project management skills is beneficial.
SRON Core competencies
- Focused on collaboration
- A global player
For further information about the position, please contact dr. A. van Amerongen, Section manager within the expertise group Instrument Science, telephone +31-(0)88-777 5885. Information about SRON can be found at www.sron.nl.
If you wish to apply you can send a motivation letter with CV to email@example.com as soon as possible, applications will be accepted until the position is fulfilled. Please state the vacancy number 1257 in the subject of your mail.
The position is located in Utrecht, but the institute has the strong intention to move to another location in The Netherlands in the future.
In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to female applicants.
No commercial propositions please.
Employment of this fulltime position at SRON-Utrecht is by NWO (The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research) and will be for a period of one year with the possibility for an extension and, eventually, an indefinite contract. If you have shown to fit well at SRON there is ample opportunity to continue your career. The salary for this position will be in accordance with the salary scales of NWO in a range between €3,525.00 and €5,512.00 gross per month on a fulltime basis (depending on education and experience).
NWO has good secondary employment conditions such as:
- An end of year bonus of 8,33% of the gross yearly salary;
- 42 days of vacation leave a year on full-time basis;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross yearly salary;
- An excellent pension scheme;
- We offer generous relocation expenses for employees coming from abroad and support with finding accommodation;
- Options for (additional) personal development;
- Excellent facilities for parental leave.